Friday, April 03, 2009

Laphroaig 15 Year Old

The Laphroaig 15 year old is apparently Prince Charles's favorite scotch. I can't say that I blame him, because it is a rich, smokey, briney wonder. I found it had a light copper color and that first whiff tells you right away that it is a Laphroaig, though perhaps a bit softer and less sharp than the quarter cask or the 10 year old. I almost felt as though it didn't even need any water. It has strong smoke, even some ash-like qualities. (These are good things, but definitely an acquired taste). The flavor has some powerful spice and smoke. When water is added, I get some wine notes, perhaps caramel and something sweet. A little plastic too, but very subtle. The smoke, spice, sea-salt, and brine are all still there, but more subdued, and the 10 year old's seaweed is not truly in evidence. Wonderful stuff, and well worth the price (I got mine at a Pennsylvania state store for $57, which I considered a steal).

No comments: