Monday, June 01, 2009

Chivas Regal 18 year old "Gold Standard"

I tend to get less out of blended scotch than I do single malts. What I mean by that is that the blending may make a well balanced and harmonious (more or less) scotch, but I have much more trouble picking out individual flavors or scents. This may well be the point, but makes my notes shorter. I spent quite some time on the 18 year old from Chivas. I like their blends, and this one is quite good. It has a golden color and a slightly smokey, sherried smell. I detect a little sandlewood as well. With water I get some biscuit, but little else. The body is rich and oily. The finish is medium and satisfying. I bought this bottle on sale for about $55, which is about right given its flavors, but I wouldn't make this a regular purchase.

No comments: