Saturday, September 19, 2009

The Glenlivet Nadurra

I hate to say it, but some single malts can be boring. The Glenlivet's Nadurra is a case in point. Michael Jackson (the whisky and beer writer, not the singer) described the Glenlivet's house style as flowery, fruity, and peachy and suggested it as an apertif. Certainly this bottle (bottled in March 2008 from batch 0308E at 56.2% ABV) is quite floral on the nose, but also very flat and closed at first. The color is a very light, golden straw, which leads me to think it must come from a first-fill bourbon cask, or even a naked cask. There is some cereal (wheat?) on the nose, but it takes a long time (15 minutes or more) to open up just a tad more. Then I get some honeysuckle and a little vanilla. Perhaps a little dry biscuit. It starts sweet and bright on the tongue, but then develops an off taste the longer it lingers in the mouth. With water there isn't much more to the nose and it does grow a little sweeter on the tongue, but otherwise I find little to interest me in this one.

These are my first impressions and I will certainly give this another chance (have to, I have a whole bottle), but my first encounter is not encouraging at all.

1 comment:

Let The Deed Show said...

Did you add water? Cask strength whiskies are better with some degree of dilution to allow the nose to open up