Sunday, February 21, 2010

Canadian Whiskies

Canadian whiskeys used to be the number one consumed whiskies in the US, particularly during Prohibition, but in the latest whisky boom, they have fallen a bit behind their US, Scottish, and even Japanese counterparts. I am not a seven and seven guy, so I have had little exposure to the tender liquid of the north. I tried two Canadians recently -- the Canadian Club six year old and the much heralded 40 Creek Premium Barrel Select. The Canadian Club was not my favorite, to say the least. Both whiskies have similar copper coloring, but Canadian Club's nose is almost pure rubbing alcohol. When I smell it, I think cotton swabs and doctors' offices. Not a good thing. The 40 Creek also has an slight alcoholic smell like rubbing alcohol, but much subtler and rounded. On the tongue it is oily, viscous and has some malty sweetness. Not a robust whisky, but a decent dram. The Canadian Club, on the other hand, is sharper, with a little spice, but not pleasant. All in all, I didn't find either one especially to my liking, but I can see the attraction that the 40 Creek holds for fans of lighter Canadian whiskeys.

No comments: