Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Virginia Single Malt

Yes, there really is such a thing as Virginia Single Malt whisky. Wasmund's comes from Copper Fox distillery in Sperryville. I have heard a lot over the last year or so about this distillery and was excited to try out their products. I will try the rye whisky at a later date, but I couldn't resist trying the single malt, which comes from a pot still. The whisky is bottled at 48% abv, and my bottle came from batch number 41, a 19 month old whisky that is aged in applewood, cherrywood and oak casks with chips. That probably explains the dark color after less than two years, which is pretty coppery. The main thing was the nose, which is quite powerful. And powerful not in the best way. I found it off-putting, like a piece of hard rubber that just overwhelmed anything else in the whisky. Even after more than 30 minutes in the glass, it was still pretty strong. The taste is all right, but that smell, oh that smell!

No comments: