Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Italian Wines


I haven't told you about our September vacation to Italy yet -- and I won't do that just yet, but I will share with you a photo of some of the great wine we had. The Antinori in the picture is fantastic, but unfortunately extremely difficult to find in the US.


Badia a Passignano is about twenty minutes drive south of Florence at the top of a small hill. We ran into one of the Antinori tasting rooms there and tried this wine, along with the Tiagnello (also excellent, but sells for $80 a bottle for the 2004 vintage in the US) and a reserve chianti. This bottle of Badia cost, I think, about 30 Euro, or $38 dollars.

Carpineto was the only winery we actually visited and tasted their wines. We did stop in at Casa Emma, but they couldn't accomodate us because of the harvest. Carpineto has a huge german shepard guarding the door that bellows as you walk in. This bottle was our favorite of the lot, and at 8 Euro ($10 or so), a bargain to boot. Leslie was sick for the last portion of the trip, so I ended up having to drink most of the wine myself -- poverino!

The Pacchia we picked up in a small grocery store one night, while the Vino Nobile di Montepulciano I bought in a wine shop near the Ponte Vecchio after we had an excellent dinner and series of wine tastings at the Frescobaldi wine bar. Of the Frescobaldi wines, I liked the Nippozanno (available state-side for about $17 a bottle) and the Mormoreto ($40 or so).

No comments: