Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Port Ellen -- 1979/2002 Signatory

Either my dog has been sneaking some of my scotch, or I am getting dangerously low on the Port Ellen I bought at Sam's World of Wine in Chicago. Given that I don't have a dog, I guess I am the culprit.

Here are the particulars: 1979 vintage, distilled 28 Aug 79, aged in a refill sherry butt, bottle on 25 Jun 2002 from butt no 5537, bottle number 670 of 768, 43 ABV or 86 US proof.

The color is quite light, almost like a sauvignon blanc in color. Quite pleasant and light on the nose. It tastes unlike any other Islay malt -- not especially smoky or peaty, light in fact. A little sweetness. Adding water opens up the oils, coating the tongue nicely. Becomes quite smooth. I'm having a tough time isolating the flavors, but they are pleasant. I'm reminded of the old Bowmore I had -- over 20 years of age, the Islay's seem to abate quite a bit and become very different creatures. Not better or worse, just different.

No comments: