Thursday, February 21, 2008

Veritas Wine Bar

I went to Veritas Wine Bar on Florida Avenue tonight after work. I forget where I heard about it, but about a month ago I came across it on the web. It's a small, darkly lit modern bar on Florida Avenue just off Connecticutt (and across from the famous Royal Palace -- thanks Mike). I sat at the bar and ordered a glass of syrah and some rabbit terrine with pate. The syrah was from the Yakima Valley in Washington State -- Elephant Mountain from Yakima Cellars, 2004 vintage. Very strong nose, very pleasant, and held up well against some excellent terrine and pate. I followed this with a berthet-rayne "chateauneuf-du-pape," rhone, france, 2005 that was much more subdued. Rob, the bartender, was friendly and efficient. The charcuterie appeared before me about four minutes after ordering. My only complaint -- for $10 a glass and up, the wine pours are a bit on the meagre side -- certainly not the standard 5oz pour. Would I go back? Probably, given the sizable list of wines by the glass and wine flights, plus hundreds of other bottles. But don't count on filling up -- this is a way-station on the way to bigger and better things.

No comments: