Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Un-Islay Islay?

Islay malts are renowned for their peat and smoke. Bowmore, Laphroaig, Caol Ila, and especially Ardbeg are known as the peat monsters. But not all the Islay malts are the same. Bunnahabhain doesn't have quite the same fanatical following (I could be wrong) and prides itself as the gentle Islay (and the spiritual home of the Black Bottle, but that's another story). In my steady quest to try as many of the active distilleries as possible (about 1/3rd down), I picked up a bottle of the 12 year old. It's a light-colored, almost straw-like. The nose without water has sea salt, some sweetness, almonds and a little like Talisker. Adding water yields baked goods, sweeter smells. Maybe prunes and a slight hint of smoke. It is quite thick and coating. A pleasent dram, definitely a change of pace from the rest of Islay. Would I buy this again? I don't think so. It's a fine enough malt, but lacks the character I am looking for in a scotch. For my money, I'd replace it with a good blend (Dewar's being my favorite) rather than rely on this single malt.

No comments: