Saturday, January 31, 2009

Miltonduff

Now that I have cleared down some of the "open-stock" of whiskies (currently only the Bowmore 12 yo and Talisker Distillers Edition), I have allowed myself to open a new bottle. Unfortunately, next on the list is a Gordon & McPhail bottling of Miltonduff 10 year old. Miltonduff is quite a large distillery with three pairs of stills and 16 washbacks , but the majority of the production goes into blends such as Ballantine's and Teacher's. G&M claim this is a light, floral malt with some cereal (wheat?) notes. I got flat wood and that's about it. It smelt like the inside of a new oak barrel before any charring or aging. It opens up and gets sweeter with water, diluting its copper color a bit, but I didn't get much out of this one. The finish is flat and thin. If you want a second (more expert) opinion, try Serge Valentin. I'm starting to doubt the wisdom of trying all the active Scotch distilleries...

No comments: