Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The perils of single cask scotch

For some reason, which I have yet to investigate, Montgomery County liquor stores have a couple of Highland Park single casks bottled exclusively for the County. Otherwise, everything in the store is official distillery bottlings. Recently the local store had one of these special single cask bottlings on sale (they normally go for about $90 a bottle). The Highland Park 15 year old from cask 3701 was distilled in 1991 and bottled in 2006 at 55.1% abv. The first thing I noticed was a deep dark coppery red color and the nose was full of burnt sugar and tons of sherry. This is a bit rough and burning, partly due to the higher alcohol, but I think also because it is coming from a sherry barrel without anything else to smooth it out. It reminded me a bit of Aberlour's A'bunadh, which I reviewed last summer. That's not a compliment. I think this shows the perils of bottling a single cask, because the sherry in this whisky completely overwhelms any of the island qualities I expect from Highland Park, which is unfortunate given how great Highland can be. This whisky is terribly one dimensional.

No comments: