Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Blue Hanger

Berry Brothers and Rudd, the famous London purveyors of fine wine and spirits (and home of Cutty Sark blended scotch whiskey), have released the fourth edition of the Blue Hanger vatted malts (vatted means there's no grain spirit in it). I tried some of it on a recent trip to London and have been enjoying the bottle I purchased. This fourth edition is a little different from the prior third edition, which consisted of 30 year old whiskies. The fourth has much younger whiskies, but the fine gentleman with whom I spent an hour discussing the merits of various distilleries and scotch trends assured me that some of the whiskies were as old as 31 years and no younger than 16. The result is a sherried, deep whiskey, that will certainly satisfy. I can't say that it is a remarkable whiskey, but it is not an ordinary one either. Worth savoring and seeking out if you are in London (no shipping to the US, alas).

No comments: