Sunday, August 02, 2009

Laphroaig 10 Year Old Cask Strength

I discovered that my local shop had the Laphroaig cask strength when I asked about the new 18 year old. The cask strength was not on the open shelves, but I spied it in their list on the computer and asked about it. They keep some of the good stuff for random reasons in the back office, perhaps when they don't have enough bottles to keep it on the shelf.

The cask strength is a deep, lusty gold color that reminds me of a Sauternes. Before adding water it is a bright nose with lots of prickle. There is light seaweed, and salt, some smoke, nicotine, and even banana, mango and turpentine (none of these are bad things, mind you, if you are a Laphroaig lover). It's not as loud as I expected the cask strength to be. I even get something crispy like celery. The taste is not a thick mouthfeel, some burn and a long lasting presence. Pork chop? (I have no idea why that springs to mind).

With water it is rounder and I get salt water taffy. Definitely some more sweetness. The smoke is still there. I get some green pepper now and licorice. Maybe a hint of mint chocolate at the end of the whiff. The mouthfeel is rounder now and still long lasting. This is powerful stuff, not for the faint of heart. I still would plunk down the money for the 15 year old, while it lasts, though.

No comments: