Sunday, August 09, 2009

Sweetbreads


Sweetbreads are probably not your normal fare in most households, but when I saw these at the farmer's market from Groff's Content, I had to buy some to experiment. After cleaning them over the course of the day (basically they sit in water that you replenish a few times), I used a Jacques Pepin recipe that seemed simple and made use of summer produce. In fact, with the exception of the olive oil, everything in this recipe (including the butter, corn, garlic, heirloom tomato, and onion) came from local producers. Pretty good, I think. The bread crumbs even came from a local bakery (I bought a small country white loaf, cut up slices and dried them in the oven before pulsing in a food processor). Overall, the dish turned out really well, though I could have more finely pulsed the bread and taken the heat in the pan down a little to keep a more even, golden brown exterior going.

No comments: