Sunday, October 25, 2009

Is this really that old?

I have read many reviews of older whiskies that indicate the oak dominates the palate. I was a little nervous about buying and trying the Duncan Taylor Miltonduff 38 year old (distilled in 1966 and bottled at 41% abv in 2004) from their Rare Auld line, but found the price a steal for its age. The color was much lighter than I expected; I would call it Mountain Dew color! It has a floral nose that is slightly subdued, but very pleasant at first. With time, it opens up and has some beautiful, floral notes. Sweet sugars, hibiscus, and honey. With water the biscuit comes out and the drink comes alive. The mouthfeel is light, but round. And there is no hint of oak, just a delicate, flowery dram. I get some Twix bar too. If I were to taste this blind, I would never guess its age by a long shot.

No comments: