Saturday, November 14, 2009

Bowmore 25 Year Old

The Bowmore 25 year old (this one is still in the old-style bottle, so it is probably a 2007 bottling) is a deep copper color with lots of sherry, burnt cake, and some rubber on the nose. It is a little thinner than I expected on the tongue, and some wood comes out. With water it develops some winey (not whiny) hints, more Christmas (fruit) cake. Like port wine. It is sweet and very smooth; a soothing dram, but the burnt notes and some of the wood don't impress.

I came back to this one a couple of times and still find something a little off-putting in the nose. I get biscuit this time. I want something better, but the nose just seems wrong/off/strange to me. I can't put my finger on it. With water the traditional Bowmore notes (including some of the trademark plastic) comes out, but it is very subdued. And lest you be misled, I like the plastic notes on the Bowmore. The Sherry incluence is still there, but not overpowering.

Overall, this Bowmore is not all that a Bowmore can be. I've had some independent bottlings (such as from Berry Bros, Cooper's Choice, and Old Malt Cask) that are stupendous. This official bottling leaves a little to be desired.

No comments: