Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Scotch Tasting Event

A couple of weeks ago I attended the Single Malt and ScotchWhisky Extravaganza here in DC, held at the JW Marriott downtown. This was my first time at an event of this type featuring whisky. I've been to a number of wine events that are somewhat similar -- large crowds trying to stretch their glasses out for a few drops of liquid, lots of gulping of said liquid, and many conversations demonstrating various levels of education about the product.

It was a bit difficult to really get a sense of the scotch being poured, but many of the representatives there were pretty knowledgable and engaging (though not universally so -- one or two didn't have a clue about the products). I enjoyed talking to a number of representatives, including the folks from Morrison-Bowmore (pouring Bowmore and Auchentoshen), the Scotch Malt Whisky Society of America (the sponsors of the event), Ardbeg, and Glenmorangie. At best, though, I can only say what I liked and what I didn't like, and what I would definitely want to explore further.

On the plus side, the Balvenie had some great drams, including the 17 year old Madeira and the 21 year old portwood. Highland Park was pouring their 25 and 30 year olds, which was a treat, but the volunteers didn't know a lot about the whisky, or at least were not sharing too much information. I already mentioned Ardbeg (new Corryvrecken is great) and Glenmorangie (the Astar is okay, the 18 year old much more sophisticated). I also tried the Suntory's 12 and 18s, and the Hibiki ("balance") blend, all three of which are wonderful whiskies. The Laprhoaig 18 year old I took back to a table to enjoy with my dinner (the buffet had some great choices, but was constantly ransacked by ravenous, and I suspect a bit tipsy fans). The Laphroaig is a smoother dram than the 15. I've managed to secure a bottle (finally!), so I hope to spend a bit more time digging into it over the coming weeks. I was also surprised that I liked some of the Auchentoshens (the three wood is quite good) -- I've had the 12 year old before and found it insipid and lacklustre. Finally, I enjoyed the Scapa 16 year old, which apparently was one of the fan favorites that night.

Now the down-side (and again, with the caveat that I am offering first impressions without spending a lot of time over each). Johnnie Walker Blue disappoints in its lack of complexity. The Chivas Regal 21 year old Royal Salute was flat and wooden. I find most Glenmorangies okay, but nothing stellar. And the Michael Collins Irish single malt and blend were not my cup of tea. Dewars had several of their drinks on tap, so to speak, and I found the Signature unimpressive, while the 18 year old Founder's Reserve worth a second go (watch this space for more in depth on that one in the future). Old Malt Cask was there pouring a New Zealand single malt (Milford) that was awful. I skipped the Glenrothes, Glenfiddich and the Macallan (I've tried their entire range before and posted on my thoughts).

I had a good time and enjoyed the opportunity to try a lot of different whiskies, though I don't think I need to go back year after year, simply because most of the offerings are official distillery bottlings which won't change much from year-to-year.

No comments: